Enjoy the best bread pudding you’ll ever taste with this irresistible recipe! These warm, decadent treats are bathed in a thick, caramel honey rum sauce. Simply drizzle the sauce over a slice, serve it warm, and savor the heavenly flavors.
1 loaf french bread (cut in 1in. cubes)
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. rum
2 large apples (peeled, cored, sliced or cubed)
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2/3 cup heavy cream
5 Tbsp + 1 tsp butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp rum
bread pudding DIRECTIONS
1. Lightly toast the bread cubes until slightly crunchy and very light brown. They will finish cooking when the main dish goes into the oven. Remove and set aside.
2. Heat the milk, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a pan on low heat until completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer this mixture to a bowl and mix in the heavy cream.
4. Whisk in the eggs gradually until well combined.
5. Add the vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon and rum. Mix well. Set aside.
6. Peal, slice and core apples. Place them in a bowl.
7. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp cinnamon over the apples. Toss to thoroughly coat.
8. Butter an 8x8 inch square baking dish.
9. Arrange half the amount of bread cubes in a single, even layer.
10. Spread the apples evenly over the bread cubes.
11. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts (if desired) evenly over the apple layer.
12. Top with the remaining half of bread cubes.
13. Carefully pour the custard mixture evenly over the whole thing.
14. Set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature (longer the better) to allow the bread cubes to absorb the custard. Tip: Use a wooden spoon and gently press down on the bread pudding to absorb all the custard. Overnight in the fridge also works to allow the bread to absorb. If so, cover to lock in moisture.
15. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the pudding is set.
CARAMEL RUM DRIZZLE TOPPING DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine all ingredients, except for the rum, in a saucepan.
2. Cook on low heat and bring to 10 minute gentle boil.
3. Stir occasionally to encourage thickening.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the rum.
5. Drizzle warm bread pudding slices with the sauce before serving.
Gypsy Shoals Farm infused honey is never heated so it retains all of the natural health benefits found in 100% raw unfiltered honey. Our infused honey is handcrafted in small batches and makes the perfect gift for the foodie in your life.